As an Adobe Flash file format, SWF is widely applied to multimedia, vector graphics and action script. Widely used in online video websites like YouTube or online Flash gaming center, Flash SWF plays an important role in people’s daily entertainment. Though the dominance of Flash SWF is threatened by new technologies like HTML 5, Flash SWF will still be people’s only choice in those fields in the next three years.
Generally speaking, Adobe Flash Player is required for viewing Flash file while Macromedia Flash 8 is a necessity to edit the SWF file. However, to edit Flash SWF file with Macromedia Flash 8, one needs to convert the SWF file to FLA file in the first place. When the edition completes, one needs to export the FLA file as Flash SWF file again. To be honest, the operations are quite troublesome and complicated.
Therefore, this post will present you ways to edit Flash SWF file with 3 different video editors. Among those video editors, some can used as Flash editors directly while others need an extra conversion process.
I. SWF Editor
As a professional Flash editor, SWF Editor can support the import of Flash SWF file directly for further editing. To import the Flash file, click “Import…” option, select the Flash SWF file and then click “Open” button. Since SWF Editor is equally powerful as Macromedia Flash 8, one can edit the imported Flash SWF file freely. Moreover, new users can use SWF Editor for free in 30 days.
II. Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11
Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 is non-linear video editing software that is equally powerful as Sony Vegas Pro. As the latest version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio series, Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 can support the import of Flash SWF file. After the importing process, one can edit those SWF files with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum HD 11. Follow those steps.
1. Download and launch Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.
2. Import Flash SWF file. To import the SWF file, click “Project” and then choose “Import Media“.
3. Edit the Flash SWF file. Drag the imported Flash file to the Timeline zone and then one can edit the Flash file with those functions given by Vegas Movie Studio 11.
III. Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker is probably the most popular video editors in the world. As a video editor small in storage and simple in operation, it is quite welcomed by Windows users. Since it can only support the import of WMV/AVI/MPEG video, one needs to convert the SWF file to AVI video for Windows Movie Maker. Follow those steps.
1. Download and launch Moyea SWF to Video Converter. Open it and click “Browser…” button. Choose “From Folder” option to import the desired SWF file.
2. Click “Export” tab and check “Video“. Then set the output file as AVI video in the drop-down menu of “Style“.
3. Click “Convert” tab and then click “Play and Capture” to start capturing. When the SWF file ends, click “Finish” button to start the conversion process.
4. Open Windows Movie Maker and then click “Import Video” option in the drop-down menu of “Capture Video” to import the Flash file. Then one can edit the AVI file with Windows Movie Maker freely.
Those are the methods to edit Flash SWF file with three different video editors. One can edit the Flash file with SWF Editor and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum HD 11 directly after the importing operation. However, to edit SWF file with Windows Movie Maker, one needs to convert SWF file to AVI video first.